Michael D. Murphy is an attorney with Farnsworth & Murphy LLC in Atlanta, GA. Before opening Farnsworth & Murphy LLC, Michael worked as a Senior Associate attorney at one of the largest criminal defense firms in Georgia. Michael has handled a wide range of cases from serious felony charges to minor traffic offenses. He has appeared in courtrooms all over the State of Georgia. While in law school, Michael spent time working as an intern with the Dekalb County District Attorney's Office. While in Dekalb. Michael assisted in handling a broad range of cases with the majority of his cases involving felony charges.
Michael's educational background includes an undergraduate degree in Criminal Justice from the University of Alabama. Michael also obtained a Juris Doctorate degree from John Marshall Law School in Atlanta, Georgia. Michael is also a graduate of the Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College.
While at John Marshall. Michael was a member of the Moot Court Board, the Student Bar Association, where he acted as a Representative. and he served as President of the Criminal Law Society. In addition. Michael actively participated as a student coach for the Fulton County Teen Court Competition. Michael assisted the students of Corella Scott King High School in winning the competition.
Michael is a native of Marietta. Georgia. His family has lived in Georgia for over twenty-five years and he is happy to call Georgia home. When he is not busy working with clients he likes to spend time with his wife, son, and two dogs.
Areas of Practice
- 75% Criminal Defense
- 25% Personal Injury
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Georgia, 2011
- U.S. Federal Courts, 2015
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- The John Marshall Law School, Atlanta, Georgia
- University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Honors and Awards
- Client Choice Award, Avvo, 2017
- Legal Elite, GA Trend Magazine, 2016
- 10 Best for Client Satisfaction, American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys, 2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Georgia Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, 2011 - Present
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, 2011 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- W. Scott Smith P.C., Senior Associate, 2011 - 2018
- Dekalb County District Attorney, Intern, 2009 - 2011