Querrey & Harrow, Ltd.
1988 - 1991
Mr. Guolee has successfully represented defendants, plaintiffs and carriers in dozens of complex, multimillion dollar claims covering a wide area of facts and law, in both state and federal court. Mr. Guolee represents several municipalities, elected governmental officials and their employees in very complicated civil rights class actions and claims brought under state and federal whistleblower laws. Mr. Guolee also represents several businesses in defense of statutory consumer rights class action clams and has a long record of successful representation of property owners, utilities and contractors in high-exposure construction and electrocution cases and other catastrophic injury and loss claims.
Mr. Guolee also represents insurance carriers, claims administrators and companies in coverage claims and litigation involving third-party claims administration practices. Mr. Guolee has represented insurers in a variety of complex coverage disputes, including professional liability coverage, errors and omissions, management of a nationwide toxic tort coverage programs, catastrophic damage claims, liability and coverage exposures under condominium insurance, reinsurance and bar and restaurant programs. Mr. Guolee also consults on cases involving attorney fee disputes and in fee petition matters.
Prior to joining Querrey & Harrow in 2002, Mr. Guolee was an Assistant Director and Counsel to The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. In this claims management position, Mr. Guolee managed this national insurance carrier’s claims systems and trained regional claims office management and employees on proper claims handling and review of attorney billing. Mr. Guolee also worked on the drafting of the carrier’s case management and attorney billing guidelines, worked on the design of the carrier’s electronic billing submission and review systems, served as a liaison to several defense bar groups and worked with local counsel and legislative lobbying units in representing the carrier and the insurance industry’s interests in connection with pending legislation in several states.
Mr. Guolee has also been appointed to the Steering Committee of Midwest I-child, a non-profit group that provides heritage training and counseling to adoptive parents of children from India and Asian countries.
- Midwest I-child, (Steering Committee)
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
A representative sampling of the matters successfully handled by Mr. Guolee follows:
- Negotiated $5.65 Million settlement on behalf of Illinois State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias in surety bond claim involving foreclosed hotel in Springfield, Illinois.
- Successfully defended client, a security contractor, in 10 consolidated cases following the collapse of a 100’ scaffold from the 42nd Floor of the John Hancock Center.
- Successfully defended and obtained summary judgment for the Cook County Sheriff’s Office as appointed Special Assistant State’s Attorney in two wrongful death cases following accidental shootings with deputies' service weapons. Argued and obtained ruling from Illinois Supreme Court affirming summary judgment order in Adames v. Sheahan et al., Case Nos. 105789 and 105851 cons. (decided March 19, 2009).
- Prosecuted birth malpractice case where $2.55 Million verdict obtained for client against hospital, doctors and nurses following 9-week trial.
- Prosecuted a national insurance carrier’s claims against a third-party administrator asserting failure by the administrator to properly handle the carrier’s entire book of New York state auto claims over a several-year period.
- Obtained dismissal of civil RICO and class action claims against a municipal sheriff asserting practice of tying promotions to financial support.
- Defended child psychiatrist in massive case involving alleged improper hospitalization and treatment of mother and two young children over several years’ duration. Case was on the forefront of national debate about Multiple Personality Disorder (Dissociative Identity Disorder) and repressed memory diagnosis and prominently covered by several local and national media outlets.
- Obtained summary judgment and dismissal of all civil rights class action claims against a municipal sheriff’s office asserting a pattern and practice of the use of excessive force on detainees and failure to provide medical care.
- Successfully defended school board against claims arising from a gang killing in a high school.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a private security company in a case where company was sued after one of their employee's handguns was used to murder two people.
- Successfully defended school board in wrongful death claim involving a 4-year old girl. Case involved claims that accident was caused by school’s alleged negligence in allowing children to cross a busy street to access school through a broken area of fencing on school grounds.
- Defended municipality in claims following police shooting of targets in multi-jurisdictional undercover drug sting, resulting in filing of Federal wrongful death and civil rights claims. Case proceeded against other municipalities with judgments for plaintiffs in excess of a half-million dollars.
- Successfully defended a family in a case alleging defamation, false imprisonment, malicious prosecution and other claims following prosecution of a minor for alleged sexual abuse of children.
- Defended trucking company in claim involving death of two workers who were allegedly overcome by toxic fumes remaining in tanker truck they were cleaning.
- Briefed appeal of federal lawsuit involving claims of political retaliation against Mayor of Chicago suburb through to the United States Supreme Court.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims raised against towing company in case involving catastrophic injuries to three plaintiffs. One plaintiff paralyzed, one suffered brain injuries and third killed in accident that occurred while client stopped traffic to attend to another vehicle.
- Represented plaintiff in case where vehicle was “impaled” by a defective guardrail and passenger client knocked through back window of minivan. Settled with driver for policy limits and sued corporations involved in design and construction of roadway, as well as the local municipality involved in approving project and overseeing construction.
- Defended various general contractors in litigation involving workplace injuries and deaths.
- Obtained summary judgment orders for electric utility in two consolidated cases involving electrocution death to one contractor employee and severe burning and brain damage to contractor’s apprentice. Case involved U.S. Department of Labor criminal prosecution of contractor.
- Successfully defended several psychiatrists against claims of malpractice following patient suicides. Also successfully defended cases involving attacks by patients against third parties.